SQL Server Performance

Ebony and Ivory

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 3, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

"Ebony and Ivory" was a hit single written by Paul McCartney and performed with Stevie Wonder in the early 1980s. It is an interesting song as it is essentially about two things that are poles apart. I was working with a colleague today who is a big Stevie Wonder fan and an Oracle DBA. Although he readily admits to both of these facts, I still respect his point of view.
    I often find that people can have their "blinkers on" when they talk about a particular topic. For me the debate will often rage around Oracle versus SQL Server or another DBMS platform. I often think that the important thing is to understand that effectively it does not matter what DBMS platform is being used; at the end of the day, all DBMS platforms are designed to store and retrieve data. The difference between the platforms is that two different people are looking at different ways to solve the same problem. In other words, is the glass half full or half empty?
    - Peter Ward
  2. pshire New Member

Peter - I agree the end result is what matters but I was pondering your glass analogy. It made me imagine filling the glass with water, maintaining the water, improving the glass sql performance, reindexing the glass, fretting over the glass not working, backing up the glass and delivering the water from the glass... so I think you are correct. It doesn't matter if you're a Oracle or SQL Server DBA, they both worry about the contents of the glass.Peter ShireSQL Sentry, Inc.