SQL Server Performance

Efficiency

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 7, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

A question I am sure a lot of you ask is where has all of my time gone? I know that there are times when I will ask myself that same question. One of the things that I have learnt over time is the art of delegation and the importance of identifying efficiency in a task. For example, a lot of people will outsource household chores such as mowing the lawn or washing the car but they do not outsource work-related tasks. These are the same people who when questioned about why they get someone to mow their lawn will respond that they earn $60 an hour and only need to pay the person that mows their lawn $30 an hour.
    The same analogy can be applied to the workplace. As outsourcing does not necessarily mean sending a job to a developing nation, it can be something as simple as delegating a task to another member of your team. For example, if you are a senior DBA then why not delegate some of the solution documentation to a junior DBA in your team. This will not only provide them an opportunity to review and learn about the solution but also provide you the ability to focus on the next project at hand. So next time you think to yourself, if only I had more time, are you really being efficient about how you utilise this scarce resource?
    - Peter Ward