SQL Server Performance

ER Diagram

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by Sandy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Sandy New Member

Hi All,
    In my Development Box one Database having more than 200 tables is present and I want to know the Relationship between the entities.
    There is no predefined ER diagram present and I am doing it manually.
    Can you please tell me what is the alternative idea to know what the exact Entities relationship present in my Database is?
    Thanks,
    Sandy.
  2. HankWalters New Member

I have used the free Power*Architect software (http://www.sqlpower.ca/page/architect) to create diagrams that show the relationships. You can drag-and-drop the tables and it will show a relationship line if they are related. It has worked well for me on undocumented dbs to quickly uncover the relationships.
    Hope it helps...
    Hank
  3. Sandy New Member

Hi Hank,
    I tried it but unable to extract from jar file. I extract by using winzip then i was unable to find the Executable file.
    So do you have any idea how to use this?
    Thanks,
    Sandy.
  4. HankWalters New Member

I am not really sure... The current install file is called Architect-Setup-Windows-jdbc-0.9.12.exe which I got from this location: http://download.sqlpower.ca/architect/current.html. When I downloaded it (a couple of releases ago) it was just a matter of putting the exe file on my desktop and double-clicking it. It pretty much did a regular install after that. I have done a couple of updates since then that were smooth also. Is that the file that you downloaded? Their forum is also pretty good and responsive to questions if there is something that I am missing.
    Once I got it installed, it was a little tricky to figure out how to set up a connection because it is a jdbc (not odbc) connection. I might can help out with that if it gives you a problem.
    Hope that helps,
    Hank
  5. Sandy New Member

Re: ER Diagram
    I am not really sure... The current install file is called Architect-Setup-Windows-jdbc-0.9.12.exe which I got from this location: http://download.sqlpower.ca/architect/current.html. When I downloaded it (a couple of releases ago) it was just a matter of putting the exe file on my desktop and double-clicking it. It pretty much did a regular install after that. I have done a couple of updates since then that were smooth also. Is that the file that you downloaded? Their forum is also pretty good and responsive to questions if there is something that I am missing. Once I got it installed, it was a little tricky to figure out how to set up a connection because it is a jdbc (not odbc) connection. I might can help out with that if it gives you a problem.

Yes Hank,
    I did the same but not sure why its not working in my machine. I am having JDBC too.
    Can you please help me for this?
    Thanks,
    Sandy.
  6. HankWalters New Member

What happens when you double-click on the .exe file? Does it give any errors or does it extract and start the install?
  7. Sandy New Member

Yes Hank, I tried to execute it. It shows to open the file with jar extension. then i tried with winzip and its opened to one folder..
    I opened that folder but no exe I found there...Only some files which i am not sure why this files present.
    Can you help me for this?
    Thanks,
    Sandy.
  8. Sandy New Member

Melvinlusk,
    No, But as I know we have to draw the ERD on Visio.
    But my requirements is differents. I wants to knows the existing ERD if database does not have any diagram. Is it possible in Visio?
    Please correct me if I am not correct?
    Thanks,
    Sandy.
  9. FrankKalis Moderator

Wouldn't be the cheapest solution, but I remember Embarcedero ER/Studio having some kind of reverse engineering feature which allows you to generate a model from an existing database structure.
  10. AdamSmartCop New Member

Microsoft Visio 2003 (not sure about older versions) does have a" reverse engineer" tool built in for creating ER Diagrams. You do have to set up an ODBC Driver for the connection to the database but other then that the Reverse Engineer wizard does work well for me. I am in charge of creating and keeping up to date the ER Diagram for my company and I use Visio, although i have found some better tools out there on the Web, but if you have Visio then that is probably your best bet.
  11. Sandy New Member

AdamSmartCop,
    Thanks for the Info, Let me check today and if it happens in visio then my problem will be solved.
    Thanks guys for your valuable time.
    Thanks,
    Sandy.
  12. HankWalters New Member

[quote user="Sandy"]
    Yes Hank, I tried to execute it. It shows to open the file with jar extension. then i tried with winzip and its opened to one folder..
    I opened that folder but no exe I found there...Only some files which i am not sure why this files present.
    Can you help me for this?
    Thanks,
    Sandy.
    [/quote]
    I am afraid that I am not sure what the problem is. I do not open winzip or anything, I just double-click the .exe file. I did a little investigation and I saw that it does extract the .jar file to which you refer into a Temp directory but when I do an install, I never see this file. Once the file is extracted, a normal install proceeds and at the end of the install, the Temp directory disappears along with the .jar file.
    The only requirement that see on the Power*Architect site is this: Java Runtime 5 or greater required. Could that be it? Maybe check your Java version. The link location is here: http://java.com/getjava
    Hope that helps...
    Hank
  13. melvinlusk Member

Do you have Visio? It's not the best solution but it will do the job for you.