SQL Server Performance

Error in selection from SSRS to Oracle database

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services' started by viksar, Feb 11, 2009.

1. viksar New Member

I am planning to use SQL reporting service to connect to oracle database and generate a report.
    I'm able to see the table from my SQL Reporting Services server and can view the data from there via SQL Plus Worksheet, however Reporting Services throws up the following error when I try to query the data:SQL Execution Error. Executed SQL Statement: Select OS_USERNAME, USERNAME, USERHOST, TERMINAL, "TIMESTAMP", OWNER, OBJ_NAME, ACTION, ACTION_NAME, NEW_OWNER, NEW_NAME, OBJ_PRIVILEGE, SYS_PRIVILEGE, ADMIN_OPTION, GRANTEE, ADMIN_OPTION, GRANTEE, AUDIT_OPTION, SES_ACTIONS, LOGOFF_TIME, LOGOFF_LREAD, LOGOFF_PREAD, LOGOFF_...Error Source:System.Data.OracleClientError Message: ORA-01405: fetched column value is NULL.
  2. satya Moderator

3. viksar New Member

Thanks Satya, I have already confirgured connection and I can view table using SSRS, however when I run select query it comes up with error message given above.
    1. Can you suggest why SSRS would otherwise through null value error message for Oracle database.
    2. What paramters do I need to use for setting connection to Oracle 8i
  4. satya Moderator

I guess the query should be formulated using OPENQUERY method due to the architecutural TSQL difference between SQL & Oracle. Also I think you need to put a question mark for the parameter wtih Oracle. Also, it makes a difference which UI you enter SQL for Oracle.
    Also I vaguely remember that certain OLEDB provider will not work at run time, one of them is Oracle data source type which will give you the managed provider for Oracle. Saw fewer points in this http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpcontheadonetdatareader.asp document about differences.

Coming to the SSRS parameters within a stored procedure with regular out parameters, you should either remove the parameter (if it is possible) or write a little wrapper around
    the original stored procedure which checks the result of the out parameter
    and just returns the output results.