SQL Server Performance

Error message in profiler

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by shreesoft00, Jan 9, 2003.

1. shreesoft00 New Member

Hi
    I was Running the profiler and there are only 10 connections on that and suddenly i got a errormessage popped up as "tds buffer length too long" and some "unknown token recieved by sql server" this was coming on one message box repeatedly we have some application running on sql server but i am not able to find the exact cause
    can somebody teel me why its happeneing ?
  2. Chappy New Member

3. shreesoft00 New Member

i am running the profiler on a remote machine and is this error due to network traffic or some mishandled errror on profiler ?
  4. mkarekar New Member

I also suggest you to run the profile for this server from other machine to isolate the problem.

I am also posting my query related to profiler for SQL7. How can i trace the host name thru profiler for MSSQL version 7. This can be easily done in SQL2K by selecting the data column as hostname. I am using extended stored procedure for this trace in SQL7.

Manu
  5. satya Moderator

Shreesoft, the symptoms are explained in the referred KB article. Is that remote machine is accessible thru WAN?

Satya SKJ
  6. bradmcgehee New Member

In regards to mkarekar's question, the "host name" option is not available in the SQL Server 7.0 Profiler, but you can use the Profiler under SQL Server 2000 to trace the "host name" on a SQL Server 7.0 server.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  7. mkarekar New Member

Hi shreesoft is your problem resovled ? what protocol are u using to connect to SQL server i.e TCP/IP or NETBOIS...

Regards to hostname issue : As the trace is scheduled on the server itself i cannot use SQL2K feature.

//MCP
  8. shreesoft00 New Member

hi
    I am using tcp/ip connection and this error doesnt comes often some times it pops up
  9. mkarekar New Member

If your setup permits is it possible for u to switch to NETBIOS and try to run the profiler. I am suspecting connectivity issues while running profile from remote machine.

//MCP