SQL Server Performance

Error trying to load a backup of SQL

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by Goyo, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Goyo New Member

Hello everybody, this is my first time in the forum, and I am writing to ask for help because we are a little desperate. I am not a computer, I am just a user with very basic knowledge, so I apologize if my query is not very technical.

We count our case (summarizing possible):

The server on which we had our management tool (a program for managing car dealerships) have had problems, and we had to send the discs to a company specializing in data recovery.

We have managed to recover a backup that was on the disk that database, and we have tried to load this file on another server without fearing success. The company that leads the topics do not know where to continue and not give us any solution technical services company that provides us with the program and we sold at the time the Microsoft Small Business Server 2000.

The error comes when trying to upload the database is as follows:
    "Error 3242: The file on devide 'D:SqlRecuperacionSerAuto_db_200906130300.BAK' is not a valid Microsoft Tape Format backup set. RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnosmally."
    I have an image of the error in case anyone wants to send. I do not know if these data and with those explanations, someone could guide the next steps or need any further information. You can write to
    gcorrales.carscorea@gmail.com
    Thank you very much in advance, and happy day / night all

Greetings
  2. vbkenya New Member

Looks like the backup file cannot be read by SQL Server due to the disk damage (or the file recovery process). At this point your options include calling Microsoft support to see if they can help with reading the file or you can try some of the backup file recovery tools in the market. I can suggest Advanced BKF Repair [www.datanumen.com/abr/] - they have a trial version that you can play with to see if it is helpful in your situation.
  3. Goyo New Member

Thank you very much for your response vbkenya. We have not yet spoken to Microsoft, because the experts that I consulted indicated me, that is very difficult that they attempt to solve our problem, because we are not a large customer, like other multinational.
    The website of recovery tools that you recommended me, said that it is to recover files *. bkf , but my file is *. bak , this program would be prepared to repair my file?
    Again thank you very much for your attention, greetings
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

That is right that tool is not suitable for sql backups.Please answer my questions in spanish forum.