SQL Server Performance

error with SELECT INTO in trigger

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by espirito, Nov 20, 2007.

1. espirito New Member

I am sorry everybody - I have solved this problem.
    Well - I still don't understand why it is so, but now it works.
    The thing wasn't in the select * into command - but it was because I had more triggers for update of this table.
    I have disabled them and now it is working.
    Sorry for confusing you - but really thanks! I do appreciate your trying to help me! [Y]
    I wish all of you the best [:)]
    Milan
  2. aynur New Member

Hello,
    I have a question related to a trigger function.My problem is,
    I have a sql query which stores user logs and user's requested queries.I have tried this, but it is not storing any logs to a table.My code is;
    CREATE TRIGGER trgLog
    ON master..log_tbl FOR insert
    AS
    BEGIN
    Select sp.spid , loginame=rtrim(sp.loginame), sp.hostname, dbname = (case when sp.dbid = 0 then null when sp.dbid <> 0 then db_name(sp.dbid) end),
    substring(sql.text, stmt_start/2,CASE WHEN stmt_end<1 THEN 8000 ELSE (stmt_end-stmt_start)/2 END) AS runningSqlText
    From master.dbo.sysprocesses sp (NOLOCK)
    cross apply sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sp.sql_handle) AS sql inner join sys.dm_exec_connections as sp_con on sp.spid = sp_con.session_id
    END

I am trying to create a trigger for this query.My trigger will use SELECT AND INSERT functions to store those logs into a table.
    Thank you.
  3. Adriaan New Member

All your trigger does is execute a SELECT query whenever data is inserted into master..log_tbl.
    You sound as if you want to execute an INSERT query?
  4. aynur New Member

I want to insert select query's values into my log_tbl. But i couldn't do it. Can you give me a sample code please!!
    Thanks.
  5. Adriaan New Member

Look up the INSERT keyword in Books Online.
    I'm a bit surprised that you would need to ask about this, given the complexity of the SELECT statement that you posted - unless of course you're going in at the deep end, without proper training in SQL.
    ... anyway ---- a trigger is a piece of code that executes after another process has inserted/updated/deleted data on that table. This is not what you're looking for.
  6. aynur New Member

Firstoffall, I have already checked the book online and the samples but I could not still make it work.My aim is to, store the user's requested queries to my log_table.I am getting these logs from a the view's of my master database.But the thng is, those valus are stored in the view temporarly.So I need to write a trigger for it to get those values( running sql codes) from the views and to store into a specific table which I already created as (log_tbl).
    So if possible, without suggesting me to check the samples, Can u help me to write the trigger and make it work?
    I appriciate ur interests and responds.
    If you execute my select query, you will see what you did in database server. I want to insert these values into table. I think i can do it with trigger. But i
    couldn't do.
    Please execute this code in yoru database;Select
    sp.spid , substring(sql.text, stmt_start/2,CASE WHEN stmt_end<1 THEN 8000 ELSE (stmt_end-stmt_start)/2 END)AS runningSqlText From master.dbo.sysprocesses sp (NOLOCK)
    cross
    apply sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sp.sql_handle) AS sql inner join sys.dm_exec_connections as sp_con on sp.spid = sp_con.session_id
    Thanks.
  7. Adriaan New Member

You're putting the cart in front of the horse ...
    An insert trigger executes after data has been inserted into the table (or view).
    By the way, the title you gave to the thread makes it clear that you're missing the point as to triggers and queries: there is no such thing as an "INSERT INTO trigger".
    There is the INSERT INTO clause which you can put in front of a SELECT query or a VALUES list, and there is an "insert trigger".