SQL Server Performance

ESQL with C++

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by ks9072, Sep 2, 2003.

1. ks9072 New Member

Hi,

Can i use C++ for ESQL.

Thanks
    Sri
  2. satya Moderator

ESQL is not the product of MS SQL Server, I think its for COBOL and you can set the c++ to use with ESQL.

(Kindly limit your queries with regard to SQL Server issues).

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. ks9072 New Member

Hi,

ESQL is product of MS SQL Server only, it is like Oracle's Proc*C. ESQL only supports C language. Is any way i can use C++ insterd of C

Sri
  4. Twan New Member

I don't think so... You can use technologies such as ADO, OLEDB or ODBC in C++

From Microsoft's site:

Warning While the ESQL/C API is still supported in Microsoft SQL Server 2000, no future versions of SQL Server will include the files needed to do programming work on applications that use this API. Connections from existing applications written using ESQL/C will still be supported in the next version of SQL Server, but this support will also be dropped in a future release. When writing new applications, avoid using ESQL/C. When modifying existing applications, you are strongly encouraged to remove dependencies on ESQL/C. Instead of ESQL/C, you can use Microsoft ActiveX® Data Objects (ADO), OLE DB, or ODBC to access data in SQL Server.

5. satya Moderator

True, as specified follow Twan's suggestion.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  6. gaurav_bindlish New Member

Yeah Microsoft has recommended migrating existing apps using DAO, RDO and ESQL/C. Well if you still wanna use C++, yes you can use all the API's in C++. I believe MFC classes use the same.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard