SQL Server Performance

Exporting Execution Plan..

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by anandchatterjee, Aug 29, 2008.

1. anandchatterjee New Member

Hi All,
    I am not sure whether this is a right question or not!!
    Is there any process to export the execution plan from one server (Development) to another (production) ?
    Regards
    Arijit
  2. anandchatterjee New Member

Hi All,Let me explain the scenario more in details. I have two boxes (Integration and Production), both are in sync as per as hardware, software, data are concern. Recently I have deployed one stored procedure in production that is drastically running slow in compare to integration and there are lots of different in execution plan also.My question is: Can I export the execution plan of the integration to production to get the same performance?Regards
    Arijit
  3. satya Moderator

You cannot do that easily, rather you can save execution plan in XML using
    SET SHOWPLAN_XML ON;GO
    and as per books online:
    1. In the Results pane, right-click the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 XML Showplan that contains the query plan, and then click Save Results As.
    • In the Save <Grid or Text> Results dialog box, in the Save as type box, click All files (*.*).
      • In the File name box provide a name, in the format <name>.sqlplan, and then click Save.
  4. anandchatterjee New Member

Thanks Satya,
    From your post, it is very much clear the steps to save the execution plan in xml format but it is not telling the process of binding it with the same stored procedure in some other box.
    Any suggestion on it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Arijit
  5. satya Moderator

As I said it is not possible to bind and with that you can save and review on the other server, being the fact that Execution plans are independent to the server resources and you cannot bind to other server, it is just a graphical presentation on how the resources are used.
    Hope this helps and clears your doubt, if not let us know.
  6. anandchatterjee New Member

Thanks a bunch...