SQL Server Performance

Exporting PM Logs to Ascii Files

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by Joan Grusensky, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Joan Grusensky New Member

In the February 11th issue of the Sql-Server-Performance.com newsletter, following is the question and part of the answer given:

Q: What is the best way to capture Performance Monitor data and review it over time? I want to be able to produce baseline performance data for my SQL Server so I can compare past performance with current performance.

A: Another option is to take the same logs collected above, but then export them to ASCII, and them import them into a SQL Server database. Then when you are ready to analyze them, export them toan Excel spreadsheet.

Can someone tell me how to export a Performance Monitor log file to an ascii file? thanks in advance.
  2. trifunk New Member

3. bradmcgehee New Member

The above article shows you how to export data using Performance Monitor from NT 4.0. If you want to use Window 2000's System Monitor, it is a little different. What you have to do here is to go to the Properties of the log you are creating (this is before you have created the log) and go to the Log Files tab, then under the Log File Type, choose CSV. This will then create your log using ASCII when collecting data, which then can be used to be imported into other applications. Also, you can export directly to the TSV format if you like.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  4. Joan Grusensky New Member

Thanks, the solution for Windows 2000 is what I needed. I was trying to export a log file that someone else created to an ascii file - I didn't think about going back to the properties when it was created. Thanks again.