SQL Server Performance

Fast Backup for disaster Recovery

Discussion in 'SQL Server Clustering' started by jbrochu, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jbrochu New Member

I am looking at SQLZIP but does anyone know if it can be used in a Cluster environment?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

At home, I don't remembe.
    Here is support mail.

Support@sqlzip.com

Luis Martin

...Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
    Bertrand Russell
  3. bradmcgehee New Member

I don't think the program is cluster aware, but it will backup and compress SQL Server backups on a cluster.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  4. satya Moderator

A good article about DR planninghttp://www.devx.com/security/article/16390 and hope this helps to plan the setup.

And I don't think SQLZIP never assumes whether its on cluster or non-cluster environment and it can be used anytime you want to speed up moving backups to other SQL Server, such as for test or development servers, or warm-standby servers. It can also be used for log shipping. Another potential use is to store backups on a server that has limited disk space.

Best bet is to followup SQLZIP as referred by Luis to their support.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  5. jbrochu New Member

Thanks guys. I actually emailed them before I made this post but who knows with these companys. They usually don't return email too quickly so i thought I would check with you guys first. Here is my email to them and their response so that anyone else who needs to know knows:

My email:
    Can I install this onto a Microsoft Cluster Environment running Win2k Advanced Active/Passive, SQL Server 2000 ENT SP3.
    Can I execute a SQLZIP backup directly to a mapped drive, say a SNAP 4100 server ?
    Thats it. Thanks

Their response:
    The answer to both of your questions is yes. To install SQLZIP on a cluster, execute the install on both nodes using the same directory for the SQLZIP code. Also, UNC named files ( \myserverf$mssql....) can be used by SQLZIP. Note that the speed of SQLZIP can be impacted by the performance of your network.