SQL Server Performance

Feedback on Newsletter -- June 16, 2003

Discussion in 'Please Tell Us What You Think' started by gaurav_bindlish, Jun 17, 2003.

1. gaurav_bindlish New Member

Firsly, in the tip **Query Analyzer**, you have mentioned that the performance of query analyzer depends on the configuration of the client machine. Is this applicable for other applications run from client machine as well. Does it apply for custom developed applications as well? And if it is, what is the right way to size the client machine? I mean we have various sizing guidlines for server but what about client?

Secondly, in the answer to the question, "My SQL Server seems to take memory, but never releases it. Is this normal?", if the organization is faced with resource crunch and neither they can add RAM to SQL Server nor they have another server for the other applications running on the SQL Server box, the RAM allocated to SQL Server can be limited by setting the maximum physical memory. This will reduce the paging done by other applications. Of course this is based on the assumption that the performance of SQL Server is not imacted due to this change or if it is impacted, the organization is ready to live with this.

Gaurav
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

Yes, the client can affect the performance of SQL Server, assuming it is not designed well. If the SQL Server returns a huge number of rows to the client (not a good idea), and the resources on the client are not large, then this can cause similar problems to what I described in the above referenced tip. Ideally, only the minimum required rows will be returned, and if this is the case, then the client should not affect SQL Server's performance because of a lack of resources. If you follow this suggestion, sizing is not an issue at the client.

And thanks for clarifying the second point, what you say is very correct.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com