SQL Server Performance

Finding SQLExpressEdition in Network

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by prabhursp, Dec 24, 2010.

1. prabhursp New Member

Hi,
    I can able to retrive all sql server names available in network.But i need only "SQL Server Management Studio Express Edition" Server Name.So how to Make different (or) Find the type of sql server ( is it standard,Express etc ) with out connecting SQL server only using Sqlserver name/SQL Instance names.Because its my requirement.
    ( Note : Using odbc32.dll i retrived all sqlserver names available in network )
    Please give me idea to resole this...
    Thanks,
    Prabhu.R
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    Do you have full access to all servers?
  3. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    You are limited by option if you are not looking to connect to those instances at all. As Luis pointed out you must have necessary ADMIN rights on those instances to obtain the details further.
    You could query this registry value to get the SQL version directly:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server...ToolsClientSetupCurrentVersion

Alternatively you can query your instance name and then use sqlcmd with your instance name that you would like:
    To see your instance name:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerInstance Names

Then execute this:
    SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

Further you haven't referred about what version of SQL Server you are using, from SQL 2008 onwards you can use SQL Server installation center to discover the installed instances. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/petersad/archive/2009/11/13/sql-server-2008-discovery-report.aspx here.