SQL Server Performance

Fixed Memory for instances - Needed for 64-bit O/S??

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by Trev256, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Trev256 New Member

1) Should you bother to set max and/or min memory for instances if AWE is not configured - because you are using a 64-bit operating system??
    2) What do you Recommend: Memory for instances - min and max?
    3) Also - what memory should you consider leaving free for the operating system???
  2. jn4u Member

At my workwe have Itanium with IE64, If we don’t set this server fixed max value we getproblem with server constant freezes. We have been in contact with MS aboutthis. I also set the x64 machines till a maximum value. I’m not sure but think somewhere that I haveread that not all program advertise correctly to operating system on 64 bit ifget memory pressure how to release memory? Correct me if wrong. It’s the same with this option I can not backit up we just set fix value because we have less problem, trail and error.
    How much? Dependsif we have lot of copying, or a report server on the machine some more. About 80-90% to the sql rest to operating system.No good way we use trial and error more or less.