SQL Server Performance

Free Software

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 17, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that advertisers will go to in order to promote a product. It seems these days that almost anything is up for grabs in order to get a message across. The days of advertising being restricted to billboards and commercials are well and truly gone. Everything from the back of a boxer to the stumps in cricket now carries advertising. I was in a bar last night and even the hand drier had adverting on it. As soon as the hand dryer was activated an LCD on the front of the dryer started to show a commercial for anti-dandruff shampoo. I recently read an article that when you visit a supermarket that we are exposed to over 2,600 advertisements.
    If you look at many software products that you install these days one of the questions that is asked is whether you would like a toolbar from one of the various search engine companies to be installed. This product placement is another way to gain eyeballs for search engine providers but also an opportunity for a software vender to make additional revenue. I wonder if one day we will see more free software available that contains advertising as a revenue-generating model. Could you imagine SQL Server with ads running down the side of Management Studio?
    - Peter Ward
  2. TommCatt New Member

That's how we've been able to enjoy "free" radio and television programs for several generations so it's not like this isn't something we are not already used to. At least these ads don't interrupt right in the middle of what we're doing.On second thought, a periodic interruption allowing me to take a bathroom break or make a sandwich probably wouldn't be all that bad.