SQL Server Performance

From SATA clone computer to next level better performing hardware

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by joaquinv, Jun 18, 2008.

1. joaquinv New Member

Hello,
    Currently we have several customers using a multi-shop retail application developed by us based on SQL Server 2005 / C# / .NET
    At this moment database sizes vary from 1 GB to 6 GB where basically one table contains 80% - 90% of all data in the form of all sale-transactions with running totals per record. Till now we always applied very low cost computers with one SATA or IDE drive, XP as OS and SQL Server 2005. Performance is not an issue when writing, and even for reading in most processes, except for one process where we need to present statistics at a specific date in time analysing that one largest table. We already optimized indexes and statistics and we are pretty sure that at design level we're at a maximim. When performing the intensive analysis i see in the performance monitor that the processor is almost inactive and that the system is only performing IO. Doing the process for the first time on a just started system takes about 5 minutes on a table with 4.000.000+ records. Doing it again, performance is much faster, I suppose SQL server now is using it's cache.
    What can I do as a next step at hardware level without diving into all to expensive server systems. I was thinking about some entry level RAID system. Availability is not the most important issue as backups are made several times a day.
    Thanks in advance,
    Joaquín
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
    What is the allocated budget to obtain new disks for better performance?
  3. joaquinv New Member

Wel honestly I have no idea what to think about and it's not only about disks but a complete server.

We have an offer for a HP Proliant Quadcore 2 GB with RAID controller and 3x 72GB SAS drives for under $ 2000 and that for example is very acceptable.
  4. satya Moderator