SQL Server Performance

good tool to monitor CPU, etc

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by bfarr23, Mar 16, 2004.

1. bfarr23 New Member

i want a real-time monitoring tool that also logs CPU, etc.

anyone make a good tool for this?
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

3. ChrisFretwell New Member

We use spotlight on sql server by Quest Software. So far, so good.

chris
  4. satya Moderator

IF the budget is supplied to buy third party tool then there are plenty available as one of them as Chris referred.

Follow as suggested by Brad to take advantange of windows supplied tools.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  5. Raulie New Member

Hello Chris, just wondering how everything is going with your audit on SQL SpotLight?
  6. Raulie New Member

When creating a new connection for spotlight I noticed that it will generate a gange of tables spot_tablename are these removed eventually?
  7. Luis Martin Moderator

I'll use Application Manager from Netiq, to me is a wonderfull tool.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
  8. Raulie New Member

NetIQ huh, does netIQ or spotlight affect performance on the servers?
  9. bradmcgehee New Member

There will always be some performance hit, although generally small, when you use a monitoring tool. Some tools are worse than others. If your server is already at its limits, resource-wise, then you may not want to take the additional performance hit of using such tools. But if your server does have available resources, then its negative impact will be minimal.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  10. Luis Martin Moderator

Application Manager (I sent a mail to web in orther to be sponsor, and no answer at all), is a Work Station application only, no server.
    You can configure all a what you want in seconds, let said 20, 30 and so on. Is a nice tool because is 7x24 and give you all picture to know what's going on and if you need to grow (HW) with anticipation.
    Give information by hour, days, month, years.
    And I run profiler when Appication Manage is running, no big deal to server.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
  11. Raulie New Member

Ok thanks both Brad and Luis, budget is good right now so I can invest in some type of monitoring tool, I just want to choose the right one, so far I have been auditing Spotlight and I like it, I just want to test it's integrity and make sure it doesn't hog up resources. I've been testing it on a lighter weight server. One thing I noticed is that it created some work tables in the Dbs like mentioned above. If any one has had experience working with it please share pros and cons.