SQL Server Performance

Hardware vs. the DBA

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 28, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

The duties of a database administrator vary greatly between each organisation; however, the core role of a DBA is to ensure the recoverability and integrity of the data that they manage. The days of a DBA doing nothing but performing re-indexing operations and checking for corruptions is long gone. Over the last 12 years since SQL Server 6.5 was released, the manageability of SQL Server has improved dramatically, meaning that issues with integrity are few and far between. As a result a modern DBA has evolved into a skilled professional that works on various projects in an IS team.
    A modern DBA is a cross between a developer and a system administrator. Hence, many organisations no longer have a full-time DBA on their team. Often the role of a DBA is filled by a senior developer or a system administrator. In the past a DBA would focus on the database as a whole, understanding what causes performance problems, whereas people that often only look after SQL Server on a part-time basis try to solve performance issues with hardware. Their justification is that hardware is cheap. They can purchase a new server with dual processors and 8GB of RAM for often cheaper than it would cost to engage a SQL Server consultant. Do you think that cheap hardware means that the role of a SQL Server database administrator is becoming redundant?
    - Peter Ward
  2. Vaelen New Member

Personally I do not believe that cheap hardware can ever replace human experience in terms of system performance. Usually cheap hardware also means expensive recovery when it fails.The role of the DBA has changed, I am a senior systems architect and yet have found myself playing DBA on many projects. These days a DBA has to be able to develop more than maintain.I do however still believe that a genuine DBA is a must in any organization that has large and complex SQL Servers and DB's because at the end of the day, he is an expert.
  3. I agree that the role of the DBA has changed. I was just hired as a DBA in a company that has not had one up until now. So far my role has been endorsed well so far, but I will curious to see what happens when I try to incorporate some database standards and begin to take some control away from the development team over stored procedure development, security on the database, etc. I agree that hardware cannot compensate for good human judgement. Although throwing more hardware at a performance issue could improve it to a certain degree, I doubt that it will ever solve the underlining issue that only a qualified DBA could do.
  4. Anonymous New Member

Pingback from User links about "dba" on iLinkShare