SQL Server Performance

Heading to PASS

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Nov 14, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I have just finished delivering a Reporting Services training course in Canberra today and I am writing this editorial from the QANTAS Club while waiting for my flight home to Brisbane. I will be home for about 12 hours before I head back to the QANTAS club to wait for my flight tomorrow to Los Angeles through to Seattle for the SQL PASS Community Summit. I have just finished chatting to a colleague who could not understand why I would want to head all the way to Seattle for a conference when you can now access so much content online.
    There are two reasons that I am attending the conference, the first is that I am presenting, but the second and most important reason is the opportunity to catch-up with people that I often communicate electronically with but only get to talk face to face with when at a conference. I think one of the most important components of communication is the 'face-to-face time' and the ability to share a beer with someone. So if you will be in Seattle at PASS next week make sure you look out for me, as I would love to buy you a beer especially if you are interested in writing an article for SQL-Server-Performance.com.
    - Peter Ward
  2. andylecap New Member

I agree, the value of face to face contact is great, well worth the effort. But is it worth the carbon emissions?The emissions from flying far outweigh those from all our other activities, so what can we do?
  3. pward New Member

One thing I do when I have the option is pay a little bit extra to Fly Carbon Neutral. I normally fly with QANTAS who has a has a Fly Carbon Neutral option. Basically they calculate the amount of carbon you produce and how many trees it would take to neutralise this and charge you that amount in order to plant the trees. It is not perfect but every little bit helps.