SQL Server Performance

High Availability Alternatives

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by gwf, Jan 4, 2008.

1. gwf New Member

Is there an active discussion somewhere here for non-MS methods aimed at improving SQL availabiliy? Products such as XOSoft (CA) WANSynchHA, Double-Take, Marathon EverRun, etc. I'm running a single SQL-05 instance on one machine, and unfortunately have clients (Mac OS-X, Win NT4) that don't readily support the drivers required for Mirroring.... I've searched, and none of these products spur much discussion. Perhaps these are 1% solutions, with most people using native SQL facilities? I'd like to be able to achieve graceful failover / maintenance failover, and lots of these 3rd party guys claim to do it, but does anyone here have any real experience with them? I'd appreciate any resource referrals. Thanks!
  2. satya Moderator

I have used Double-take in my earlier work place, where I can say it is a good one to provide such a high availability option. But bear in mind not all of the HA aspects may be available here, it is better to refer to the Software spotlight article section on this website to see whether they have been evaluated here.
    FYI, if they are not SQL related then it may not be, so better to download them or ask the vendors to show a demo for your requirement.