SQL Server Performance

HIGH CPU USAGE ON QUERY....help..

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by sql_jr, Jan 7, 2009.

1. sql_jr New Member

hello,
    Besides fixing the code, I need a short-term solution or workaround on how to optimize a cpu intensive query. I have a mutliprocessor 64-bit sql cluster with 56GB allocated to the instance. I've identified the process with the high cpu usage, now I need some tips on how to perhaps make it perform faster. Is there anything like allocating more memory, or processor, or bumping up resources for this particular query? Need info asap. THX!
  2. ndinakar Member

not really... you might just want to fix the darn query. Some indexes can help.. post your code and perhaps someone here can provide some direction on how to relieve your CPU.
  3. madhuottapalam New Member

If you have sql 2008 , resource governor may help you to control resource allocation. But in general, the reason behind the high CPU usage may be recompilation of sps/queries or more cpu oriented queries like math calculation kind. You need to find out the reason behind the CPU usage and if possible try to correct that.
    Madhu
  4. satya Moderator

As referred by DInaker posting your query might help to identify the root cause.
    Are you executing this directly or executed as a STORED PROCEDURE?