SQL Server Performance

High CPU utilization

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by thanzeer, Apr 5, 2004.

1. thanzeer New Member

2. Luis Martin Moderator

You can use Performance Monitor, with some counters you can see backup and any program using CPU.
    Also run Profiler to find if there is some queries taking CPU.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com
  3. gaurav_bindlish New Member

Ideally the backup of the database shoud be carried out during low activity period as it dews consume server resources. There is no saperate process for the same. It takes place in SQLServer.exe context.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
  4. satya Moderator

What about memory settings of memory on SQL Server?
    ANy other applications are sharing the server resources?

During the backup process run SP_WHO or SP_WHO2 and see physical disk activity for that process.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  5. bradmcgehee New Member

Seriously consider identifying slow running queries using Profiler and trying to tune them as much as possible. This is a big job, but it can significantly help reduce the current load on your server.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

I'll close the post, because original was changed by user, and question was missed.

Thanzeer: If was some operational mistake, send me a mail and I'll reopen.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com