SQL Server Performance

How do I copy a SSIS Project?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Integration Services' started by Jon M, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Jon M Member

Hello All,
    I will be creating 2 SSIS projects. They have similar flow for now but later on one project will change gradually (new flows will be added). I am thinking of creating the first project, for example name it as project1 and copy this whole project to another project, say project2. Is this possible? Is there any danger if I will just copy the whole directory or folder of project1 and save it to a new folder named project2.
    Thanks.
  2. satya Moderator

As per BOL:
    In addition to using the tools that are built into the BI Development Studio for package deployment, you can also deploy packages manually. The initial steps of package creation are the same for both types of deployment. You would typically make the package using the SSIS Designer in the BI Development Studio, which results in the creation of a .dtsx package file.
    Once the package file has been built, you can copy the package file to the destination system manually or you can incorporate a file copy routine as a part of a custom deployment script. If you manually deploy SSIS packages, then you need to explicitly include any required supporting files in your deployment script. If you want the package to be installed to SQL Server or you want the package in the file system to be visible to the SSIS service, then you’ll want to include the dtutil tool as a part of your deployment processes. Dtutil can copy the package to either the file system or to the SQL Server msdb database. Once the package has been moved to its destination, you can execute the package using the dtexec or dtexecui utilities.
    SSIS packages can also be run on systems where SQL Server is not installed. However, the .NET Framework and the SSIS runtime must be installed in order to execute the packages on systems that do not have SQL Server 2005 installed.