SQL Server Performance

How Much Is Too Much?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 14, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I met someone this week who regularly works in excess of 65 hours a week and has been working as many as 90 hours of late. The organisation that this person works for recently lost several staff and all the work has landed in this person's lap. Although they are recruiting to fill the vacant positions, I am sure that the number of hours this person works will not reduce in the short term. As it will take several months before the new recruits are up to speed with the projects that this person is juggling at the moment.
    This does raise the question of what responsibility a workplace has for an employee's well being. I am no legal expert but I am sure that if an employee has a car crash while travelling home from work after a long day in the office that the workplace would be liable, as the workplace has failed to ensure a duty of care towards the employee. I know from experience that working long hours is not a healthy practice but sometimes there is no choice as the work just needs to be done. However, the flip side is that employers need to ensure that they do not have expectations that cannot be met. Do you feel that your employer sets unfair expectations and deadlines that force you to work more than 40 hours a week?
    - Peter Ward
  2. BrentO New Member

I've been in this exact situation twice, and another colleague gave me an excellent idea that worked both times. I went to my boss and proposed that we pay the remaining staff "Battle Pay." We knew the staff were going to need to work 60-80 hours a week for 3 months until the new people were up to speed, so we proposed a 50% pay increase until the additional people had been on board for 30 days. The raise was still under their payroll budget (since the normal staff had quit) and it gave the remaining staff an incentive to stick around. It works better than a real raise, because raises last forever. Doing it as "Battle Pay" makes it clear to management that it's a temporary thing just like going to war.
  3. dcutting New Member

Where I work - when some one leaves unexpected or some major event happens - they take a look at what would mean the most to each employee. Some would like a little extra in the paycheck, others are happier to get time off they can schedule. But - no matter what they do or do not do, they do expect us to jump in and do what needs to be done to cover and or get the systems back online etc. It is not very often that some one in my team just works a 40 hour week. We also are allowed to work from home - if the coverage and project would allow - and that helps out a lot as well.
  4. unclebiguns New Member

My current employer is very good about work time and maintaining quality of life. A previous employer cared little for the well-being of employees and it showed in performance. I was fortunate that my direct boss was good about allowing us comp time when we had put in a late night or an all-nighter, but it wasn't company policy!
  5. cenkoz New Member

I worked about a year over 60 hours excess every month. At first the outcome seems to increase, but after a while you feel very tired both mentally and physically. So you seem to work harder but in fact the work you produce is definitely is a mess and full of errors because you can not concentrate. The management forces you to do this and most of them even don't realise that the quality decreases.Most of project management books states that overtime is a failure in one of two ways. It is a failure because the employee didn't work well in daytime or it is a failure of the manager as he can't plan work.