SQL Server Performance

How security is set on drives of Windows Server 2003 to let only specific SQL Server Instance acces to them?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by shawn, Dec 17, 2009.

1. shawn New Member

How security is set on drives of Windows Server 2003 to let only specific SQL Server Instance acces to them?

For exemple:

- Windows 2003A, has SQL Server 2005 installed with instance01 and has those drives: C, D, E,F
    - Windows 2003B, has also SQL server 2005 installed and SQL Management Studio

Mixed mode authentication
    Let's say:

1- I open SQL Management Studio on Windows 2003B and connect on SQL databases of Windows 2003A instance01

2- When I try to restore a database from file, I can only acces to E and F drives of Windows 2003A

How security is set to get only acces to specific drives?

I check in NTFS security and there nothing special there…it should be something in SQL but where?
  2. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Hello Shawn,
    Is this by any chance a cluster and 2003A is a node in that cluster? Do you see anything different if you are logged on locally on 2003A? What does
    EXEC master..xp_fixeddrives go
    SELECT * FROM
    fn_servershareddrives()
    go
    SELECT * FROM sys.dm_io_cluster_shared_drives
    return?
    What happens exactly when you try to restore from C or D?
    /Elisabeth
  3. shawn New Member

Your are right Elisabeth...the SQL servers are set in cluster mode..so the drives are shared by the ressources in windows cluster manager... I forgot that.
    Thanks
  4. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    Are you using a local account or domain account to start SQL Server service?