SQL Server Performance

How to add a new article to existing publisher in transactional replication?

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by sql_er, Jul 26, 2010.

1. sql_er New Member

Hi,We have transactional replication set up on our MSSQL 2000 servers. I am trying to add a new article to the publisher, but it does not seem to work correctly.Using the GUI interface, I added a new article. I then ran the Snapshot agent, which seems to have not done anything.I checked the publisher and see that i have 3 replication stored procedures created there. However, I do not have them in the subscriber.I do not want to reinitialize everything.What can I do in this case to simply add an article to an existing publisher?Thank you!
  2. ghemant Moderator

You may use sp_addarticle to add article to an existing publication followed by sp_refreshsubscription, IMO this will then do not reinitialize whole snapshot.
  3. sql_er New Member

ghemant,Will any of these 2 steps create the necessary (insert/delete/update) stored procedures on the subscribers?Thank you!
  4. ghemant Moderator

I didn't get your question
  5. sql_er New Member

In order for replication to work 3 stored procedures need to be created on the subscribers (sp_MSins_ ... sp_MSdel ... sp_MSupd). When everything is initialized from the begining, these 3 are created.My question was - if I use the steps you described, will these 3 stored procedures be created on all the subscribers specifically for the table I will be adding as an article?THank you!
  6. satya Moderator

Is this really for SQL 2000 version or higher version?
    I believe there are certain design restrictions in SQL2K version to enable the option for you.