SQL Server Performance

How to comment on articles

Discussion in 'Please Tell Us What You Think' started by Jeff Moden, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Jeff Moden New Member

There's some really dangerous code in some of these articles... some of them recent. I just ran across one that compares dates using a bloody cross-join and it generates 280 internal rows just on one leg of the execution plan for a lousy 16 original rows. It goes against everything that performant code stands for.
    How do you write a comment on these articles to warn people of how bad the code is?
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Hi Jeff,
    nice to see you here: [:)]
    In such cases I would suggest posting this to the forum here with a link to the article and the code snippet.
  3. Jeff Moden New Member

Lordy, it's been a very long time since I've seen or heard from you, Frank. Thank you for the nice welcome.
  4. Madhivanan Moderator

[quote user="Jeff Moden"]
    There's some really dangerous code in some of these articles... some of them recent. I just ran across one that compares dates using a bloody cross-join and it generates 280 internal rows just on one leg of the execution plan for a lousy 16 original rows. It goes against everything that performant code stands for.
    How do you write a comment on these articles to warn people of how bad the code is?
    [/quote]
    Jeff Moden,
    Welcome
    Can you post the links of those articles?
  5. FrankKalis Moderator

[quote user="Jeff Moden"]
    Lordy, it's been a very long time since I've seen or heard from you, Frank. Thank you for the nice welcome.
    [/quote]
    Indeed it is. I tried to send you a private mail via the SSC forum couple of months ago, but you also know how unreliable that feature is. Could well be, that it is still in some message queue. [:)]

6. FrankKalis Moderator

Again, this thread is from 2008. Not sure Jeff is still following it.