SQL Server Performance

How to configure a new server

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by lcerni, Oct 10, 2007.

1. lcerni New Member

I have been requested to put together a proposal for a new server and should offer explanations to support the recommendations.
    Is there a word document as a template out there that I could use? In discussions with my manager I think this is how he would like to see it.
    He wants to place all production databases on one server. However, the ta, sw, and TNPN databases are heavily read and write intensive and thus
    I think they need to be on their own drives for the data and log files. It is a transactional database that is also used for reporting.

c: operating system RAID1 RAID-1 requires at least two physical disks.
    sql_d: data files for all system & small user databases RAID5 RAID-5 requires at least three physical disks.
    sql_e: log files for all system & small user databases RAID1 RAID-1 requires at least two physical disks.
    sql_f: data file for ta database RAID5 RAID-5 requires at least three physical disks.
    sql_g: log file for ta database RAID1 RAID-1 requires at least two physical disks.
    sql_h: data file for sw database RAID5 RAID-5 requires at least three physical disks.
    sql_i: log file for sw database RAID1 RAID-1 requires at least two physical disks.
    sql_j: data file for TNPN database RAID5 RAID-5 requires at least three physical disks.
    sql_k: log file for TNPN database RAID1 RAID-1 requires at least two physical disks.
    sql_l: tempdb (both data and log files) RAID0 RAID-0 requires at least two physical disks.
    (drives d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,&l should only be for SQL Server and no other apps should fall on these drives)

m: all other applications/files/stuff RAID1 RAID-1 requires at least two physical disks.
    I am told RAID10 is impossible and to not even consider it.
    An example of a proposal or template would be greatly appreciated since I have never written one of these before.
  2. techbabu303 New Member

3. satya Moderator

Refer the above link that helps to plan the capacity for such VLDB if your database falls under the category of more than 100GB and rapid growth.
    But in this case if you can explain whether you want to achieve best performance and availability with the hardware, then explain more about queries & transactions on your database.
  4. satya Moderator

Refer the above link that helps to plan the capacity for such VLDB if your database falls under the category of more than 100GB and rapid growth.
    But in this case if you can explain whether you want to achieve best performance and availability with the hardware, then explain more about queries & transactions on your database.