SQL Server Performance

How to differentiate between a litespeed backup and native SQL backup

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by kasaranenikiran, Jan 4, 2011.

1. kasaranenikiran New Member

Hi ,
    WE have a PROD environment with around 200 DB's. We used native SQL backups for DB backups. Recently, one of the DBA installed Quest Litespeed on the Server and told he changed some of the backup jobs from Native SQL to Litespeed.
    I was asked to check all the back up jobs on the server to document and list the DB's with the information below :
    DB Name, Kind of Back Up ( Litespeed/ SQL Backup) , Last backed up .
    I checked the Litespeed console and I don't find the Instance registered in the Console.
    So, How do I check which DB is backed up through Litespeed and which one is backed up by SQL Backup ? I see all the Back up Jobs in the SQL Agent with the T-SQL Script in the steps.
    So, How do I differentiate the backups whether they are Litespeed backups (or) SQL Backups by the T-SQL code ??
    And is there any code which gives out the information of all the DB's at a time instead of checking each Job ??
    Please Advise
    Regards
    Kay
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

I suppose Litespeed have is own sp to run instead native sql "Backup".
    So if you check t-sql in each job, you will find the difference.
    BTW: 2008 have compression so why install Litespeed?
  3. kasaranenikiran New Member

Sorry,,, I didn't mentions. Its SQL 2005 . other than the T-SQL ,,,, is there any other option to check this ??
    regards
    kay
  4. satya Moderator

Do you name the backup file as same for both native backup & litespeed backup?
    On the operating system you can choose the file properties to see by what process it is created. I believe the Litespeed creates the filename as .BKP extension, see if you can find them.
  5. kasaranenikiran New Member

I don't have access to the backup server . I am checking the T-Sql in the backup Jobs and differentiating by the SP and T-SQL used for backup. And also, I could find that the extension for the litespeed is put as .ls
    Hope I am doing right ..
  6. satya Moderator

How many jobs do you have on that server?
    What account has been used for litespeed to use?
    Can you check whether the account used for litespeed has required privileges on SQL Server?
  7. kasaranenikiran New Member

We have around 80 Back up Jobs .
    A windows authenticated login with the SA permissions is used for the Backup Jobs .
    And , I could get the access on the backup server and could find that the system databases with .bak ext and the all other as .ls ext
    I tried checking on the properties of the file, but couldn't find anything on it .
    kay
  8. satya Moderator

If you perform the native SQL Server way to backup the database, then you can name the backup file as you wish.
    Now as you see that on the backup server all the backups are named with .ls extension which means the backup job is scheduled/managed by Litespeed.
    hope this satisfies your requirement.
  9. kasaranenikiran New Member

Thanks for the help.
  10. kasaranenikiran New Member

Got a better way of verifying this. Get in to the Job history and drop down the Job details and it shows up the Litespeed info if it has been backed up by Litespeed. Thanks for all the Help . Kay
  11. PankajM New Member

Litespeed console has history of DB backup and restore. Link should be a help for you.
  12. satya Moderator

Appreciate your workaround information here, as per your initial question as you said you can't seem to find the instance registered on Litespeed console all that we see below is mentioned.
    Anyways glad to see you got what you want.