SQL Server Performance

How to Handle Expectations

Discussion in 'The Lighter Side of Being a DBA' started by chaloner, Feb 15, 2006.

1. chaloner New Member

Hi Everyone

In my team there are 4 more people apart from me.All of them have more than 6yrs of experience.I am the only one with experience of 1year .Their knowledge and skills are far better than mine I know that.I am trying my best to improve and learn but everything takes time.So I do make mistakes.Most of the times the level of expectation is very high from me and that makes me nervous while doing any job.At times because of mistakes I get irritated and depressed. Could you suggest how should I handle the pressure and expectations.[V]

cheers
    Parik****
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

While it's easy to write about (about not being in such a situation), try to cool down and relax. One cannot think clearly when one's upset and stressed. One of the first thing that should be taught in management lessons is to break a problem down to the root cause, instead of hecticaly initiate more or less useless activities. Everybody makes mistakes. No matter how much experience one has. Even your colleagues still make them. If they tell you otherwise, they are lying. Try to learn from your mistakes. Analyse them when you have time. There's a really great book by a German author Dietrich Dorner. It's called: The Logic of Failure: Recognizing and Avoiding Error in Complex Situations. While it's not the Philosopher's stone, it's an interesting read.

Try to improve your skills! One exceptional great way (at least for me) is to answer questions in online communities. It's a never ending source of inspiration how to tackle problems. Although some donot seems to be related to your specific situation, a correct answer will give you self-confidence which in turn should help you better deal with your own situation. And if you are uncertain, step in here and ask a question yourself. Only fools try to reinvent the wheel over and over again, instead of taking the shortcut and ask others who might have already been in the same situation for help. Actually that's a really smart way to save time and nerves.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    http://www.insidesql.de
    Heute schon gebloggt?http://www.insidesql.de/blogs
  3. chaloner New Member

Hi Frank

thanx a lot for the inspiration.Even i believe that the more problems we solve the more we learn.That is why I joined this forum.I am enjoying it a lot.I browse through most forums.Try to answer and ask queries myself.
    I think I shoul develop a positive attitude towards mistakes as you suggest.
    About the book is it in english or german.Will it be available in India.

Anyways thanx for your inspiration.I will surely implement some points suggested by you.

cheers
    Parik****