SQL Server Performance

How to Improve performance???

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jayakumar.T, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jayakumar.T New Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a table with the indexed column. In that am having 50 lakhs record. My criteria is to find the results with the non clustered column [have repeated values].
    So, in what way i can improve the performance?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Jai
  2. MohammedU New Member

If I understand correctly...
    Create a non clustered index on which is used in your criteria....
  3. jayakumar.T New Member

Could you please help me how can i create a non clustered index for the the particular column which has repeated values . I tried that it is not working!!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Jai
  4. Adriaan New Member

On eplace to start would be Books Online.
    Hint: CREATE INDEX
  5. rohit2900 Member

If you are on 2005 then instead of creating a simple non clustered index, create a covering index that will cover your queries.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964133(SQL.90).aspx
    http://www.mssqlcity.com/Articles/Tuning/IndexOptimTips.htm
  6. Saurabh Srivastava New Member

If you are using SQL Server 2005 think about included columns. It would reduce some of indexing overhead
  7. gurucb New Member

For this "Could you please help me how can i create a non clustered index for the the particular column which has repeated values . I tried that it is not working!!!"
    If it has repeated values I dont think it would be used since your selectivty is very low. So even if you create NC on this column it would not help optimizer. Instead if you can see if there are combination of columns that would yield better selectivty (returning only less number of rows) then create index on combination of columns.
    We do not have bit map indexes in SQL Server which will help you created indexes on Repeated values.
  8. satya Moderator

SQL Server books online (updated) is your first resource to get information on indexes and any topic that is discussed here, follow as suggested here and make sure you tried them as per the code examples cited in the books online.
  9. jayakumar.T New Member

ya i got the solution. now i created the non clustered index for the column. now my performance get improved by 2 times.
    Thanks a lot for all.