SQL Server Performance

How to let a developer do his job yet not set him up with the db_owner role?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by lcerni, Nov 16, 2007.

1. lcerni New Member

I have a developer who wants to do his job but I have a manger who does not want him to have the db_owner role. What is the best way to give him privileges? I ran
    GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE TO [user]GRANT ALTER ON SCHEMA::dbo to [user]
    Now he has come back to want to create/execute functions. What do I do to grant him enough to do his job? Is there a recommendation as to what to grant a developer? Is there a generic script out there?
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

I don't think there is "one general approach" to your problem. However in most shops there is a strict distinction between development and production environment. In the development environment the developer might be given all privileges he needs (no problem giving even sa privileges). However, it is the job of the DBA to quality check the developer scripts and deploy them to the production environment. A developer, imho, should have at most, just common user privileges. There should never be such things as open-heart surgery in which you develop on the production system. Having said that, I can fully understand your manager. A developer doesn't need db_owner privileges to do his job.
  3. Luis Martin Moderator

Beside Frank's posts (agree at all), is a developer or production server?
  4. satya Moderator

We have such issues everytime and whoever asks as a DBO role for the database, we would say any actions we are not responsible to take care due to the enhanced privileges and exception to the standards policies.
    What is the main reason or task they need to do, that is referring to DBO. If it is something they need to grant roles or modify columns you could give them DB_DDLADMIN fixed db role.