SQL Server Performance

How to patch SQL in a active/active cluster

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by mlimtl, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mlimtl New Member

Hi,

I need a simple procedure to patch our SQL2005 active/active cluster to SP2. It's
    presently unpatched. From what I understand I need to do the following :
    1- Failover node 2 ressources to node 1
    2- Log on node 1 and install the SP2 on the two instances
    3- Failover node 1 and node 2 ressources to node 2
    4- Reboot node 1
    5- Log on node 2 and install the SP2 on the two instances
    6- Failover node 2 and node 1 ressources to node 1
    7- Reboot node 2
    8- Failover node 2 ressources to node 2

It seems too simple .... I'm I forgetting sometings ?

Thanks
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. mlimtl New Member

... good one but I'm so lost that I have read the readme and numerous other help files :)
    In my setup I have two instance by server, one active, one for failover. What I not sure, even after reading the readme, is the order that I need to follow. Like I said, I think I need to apply the SP2 on each server and on each instance but I 'm really not sure which is the best and fastest way to do that.
    Thanks anyway.

4. SteveWolford New Member

The section of the readme file to look at is 3.2.5. In my experience, the procedure is fairly simple. You just need to run the setup program for SP2 on your active node. The setup process will update both nodes for you at the same time (essentially).
    If you have a non-cluster-aware component installed on both nodes of your server, such as Integration Services, then you would also need to run SP2 on your passive node, and I think you can do that without having to move the cluster to that node.
    Then, you need to restart both nodes. I think that's it. Good luck!
    Steve
  5. Luis Martin Moderator

Check:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/b/5/2b5e5d37-9b17-423d-bc8f-b11ecd4195b4/ReadmeSQL2005SP2.htm