SQL Server Performance

how to recover backup file which is corrupted

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by sns_subash2002@yahoo.com, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Hi All,

I have a backup file(Full backup) which is Corrupted can you please recommand me how to recover the data from it. Few details are as below.
    Size of the backup : 8GB.
    How did i comform the bacup file is corrupt: When I am using to restore the backupfile either with EM or Quiery Analyzer it is giving that the backup file is not a valid MSBackup set and even when i tried to verify the backup with verify list only it is throwing an error not a vailed backup.

Can some one help me on this.

Thanks,
    Srinivas Sista

2. melvinlusk Member

What version of SQL Server is the backup from?
    Are you trying to restore it to the original server?
    Do you have any other backups of this database, and if so, are you able to restore them?
  3. It is SQL Server 2000, trying to restore it to the original server i don't have any backup of this databases
  4. madhuottapalam New Member

It looks like you have backup taken from 2005 and trying to restore it 2000 instance which is not possible. If the backup is taken from 2005 then restore it in 2005 instance.
    Madhu
  5. satya Moderator

6. satya Moderator

Then you are at loss if you do not have backup for this database, very hard to recover from that kind of error.