SQL Server Performance

how to restore on same computer after format?

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by jdoyle, Jun 17, 2003.

1. jdoyle New Member

I have a Compaq ML570 server with 4 processors, and six 18 gig drives (4 in use, I will be adding the other 2) that I am using for a data warehouse. I'm not happy with the out of box configuration of the server. The data, log files (sql 2000), and os (win2k) are on a raid 5 array with 3 disks, and I have a raid 0 disk with copies of the raw data (text files)I import into the database. I plan to mirror the os, logs, and raw data on one raid array, and use a raid 5 config on the other controller for the data. Is this a good configuration to use? and what do I need to back up to tape before I wipe the box, and reconfigure the arrays, so I don't lose any data or stored procedures? Is the master db and user dbs all I need a copy of? Is backing up to tape only for the restore safe?

2. satya Moderator

3. bradmcgehee New Member

I have successfully used sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db to do exactly what you are doing.

Based on what you have described, your new configuation should work well.

Brad M. McGehee, MVP
  4. satya Moderator

Make sure you have tested the recovery process on test bed before proceeding on production.

Satya SKJ
  5. jdoyle New Member

Thanks for the help. I did test the recovery process on a test bed, and had no problems; however, when I went to restore the db on the production server I had problems because the drive letters had changed. Funny thing is the test bed also had different drive letters than the original configuration (only a large c: drive). Finally I just changed to drive letters in windows to match the old system, and everything is running fine now.