SQL Server Performance

How to solve this issue sqlserver.exe is taking so much of memory [70%]

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by naga.rohitkumar, Nov 21, 2012.

1. naga.rohitkumar New Member

HI to all,

How to solve this issue sqlserver.exe is taking so much of memory [70%]

in task manager --->in process --> sqlserver.exe is taking nearly 70% of memory windows team sent a mail and asked to resolve

1. in this case what should i do ???
    and

2 . shall i take ---Performance- top Queries by Average IO and top 10 long running queries and shall i ask application team to make proper tunnnig

3. or else what ever the things i can do to solve this please suggest with clear analysis step by step .

Thanks & Regards
    NAGA.ROHITKUMAR
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

3. naga.rohitkumar New Member

Thanks for the reply

as a dba iam pefroming every thing like
    1.taking top 10 long running queries and asking to application team for proper tunning .
    2.checking error logs
    3.running performance monitor daily with sqlserverbuffermanger-buffercache hit ratio and read/secand write/sec
    4.taking performance top queries by average IO and sending to application team
    5. windows team complaining to me to slove this issue of high utilization of [sqlserve.exe] process in taskmanager

what else can i do to reduce this high memory usage ??

Thanks & regards
    Naga.RohitKumar
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

There is not such memory issue (because, Task Manager don't tell you how much memory sql is using) . Of course more memory more performance.
    SQL Server try to get all memory available. If you have x64 and, said, 8GB you have to set max memory to 6.4GB. The idea is to leave some memory for OS.
    So, sql will take 6.4 GB. If using Performance Memory, pages/sec is high constantly, then probably you need more memory.
  5. Luis Martin Moderator

There is not such memory issue (because, Task Manager don't tell you how much memory sql is using) . Of course more memory more performance.
    SQL Server try to get all memory available. If you have x64 and, said, 8GB you have to set max memory to 6.4GB. The idea is to leave some memory for OS.
    So, sql will take 6.4 GB. If using Performance Memory, pages/sec is high constantly, then probably you need more memory.
  6. peterdru401 New Member

For such case you should use a performance monitoring tool which will monitor the sql server
    memory & CPU usage and also create some alerts
  7. naga.rohitkumar New Member

we use perfmon tool and addcounters like sqlserver buffermanger in the --->buffercache hit ratio and page read/sec,page write/sec.