SQL Server Performance

how to speed up freetext search

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by suvresh, Jan 20, 2008.

1. suvresh New Member

i am using the statement:
    select * from <tablename> where contains(*, '<search criteria>')
    but while i am seeing the query execution plan - that shows there so much it time takes to execute - the cpu cost is 93% some times. can anyone guide how to speed up this query.
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. suvresh New Member

thank u sir, i am reading the topics care fully.
    yes i am talking about full-text search, do you have any other idea to speed up the query i will be very thankfull to you.
    suvresh

4. satya Moderator

Whats wrong with the ideas give above?
  5. suvresh New Member

nothing - that's the ultimate
  6. satya Moderator

Do you have accent sensitive words or is this SQL server service installed with such an option?
    In some cases, applications would filter for certain query terms, and would expand a word like "café" to ' "café" OR "cafe" ' to find the both accented and unaccented forms of the word. With the configurable accent sensitivity in SQL Server 2005, this application-level processing is no longer necessary.
    Another advantage with SQL 2005 fulltext is it is a part of SQL engine now and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345119.aspx#yukonftsea_topic3, keep in mind that building a full-text index on a server with a large amount of available memory achieves optimal performance, as that memory will be used for pushing larger batches of data to be indexed.