SQL Server Performance

How to test a SQL connection from Windows 2008?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by shawn, May 20, 2010.

1. shawn New Member

Hi,

I have an application on IIS (Windows 2008) which communicate to a database on MS SQL 2005 (Winows 2003).

How could I test the connection from Windows 2008 to make sure there is no prob between both servers and on application itself?
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

On the server you could try to ping each other and maybe on the webserver try to set up a dummy data source to the database server, then test the connection and delete the data source again.
  3. Adriaan New Member

In the application, I assume you're using some type of Connection object. You instantiate the object, you set all kinds of parameters, and you connect. On the same object, there will be a property that shows the status of the connection.
    That's it, really.
  4. shawn New Member

After many tests, I realized that the prob is due to firewall. I disabled it and the application can communicate with the SQL server. Thank you for help guys.
  5. satya Moderator

if this is a production environment then you are inviting troubel that switching off the FIREWALL, rather you can add an exception to allow the connection between the services with a specific prot.