SQL Server Performance

How to Verify backup file

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by sns_subash2002@yahoo.com, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Hi All,
    I am using SQL Server 2000 I am taking the backup of a Database in 3 file in local hard disk. Can you please let me know how to verify the backup file (3 files) I know how to verify the backup of one bakup file like
    RESTORE VERIFYONLY from disk = 'F:DC_BKP_TestDC.BAK' but i have splited the backup into 3 file DC_File_1.BAK'
    DC_File_2.BAK'
    DC_File_3.BAK'

Can you please let me know how to verify all the above mentioned 3 backup files. Giving syntax is also ok with me.
    Quick help is very much appricated.
    Thanks,
    Srinivas Sista
  2. satya Moderator

3. THank for you help but i am not able use the syntax as it is use full for only 1 file verification.
  4. madhuottapalam New Member

Srini, SInce you have SQL Server 2000, VERIFYONLY will not help in this case. This command has different behaviour in 2000 and 2005. In 2000 what VERIFYONLY do is, it will check the media header and then returned a success or an error. The entire backup set could be invalid, and every other sector on the media could be bad. But aslong as the media header was intact, it would return a success.
    Madhu
  5. Hi All,

I got the answer for my question below is the Syntax to verify the backup which is having multipule files.

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK=’x:file1.bak’, DISK=’x:file2.bak’,….DISK=’X:fileN.bak’
    Where x: is the backup location
    If you have any douts/clarification please let me know .
    Thanks,
    Srinivas Sista
  6. satya Moderator

Appreciate your response, as I have told you BOL will have such syntax info,