SQL Server Performance

HP Server for SQL Cluster at Your Company

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by htt, Mar 23, 2009.

1. htt New Member

Hi,
    I was asked to increase SQL availability by either setup SQL cluster or database mirror. I am looking at HP.com for either a whole cluster system or buying a cluster kit to build a cluster using our existing ML570 servers. There will be 2 to 3 large 50 GB ~ 150 DB databases on the cluster. The growth is about 30% each year for each database. The number of total users is around 100. I just would like to see if you can share the model of HP SQL cluster server you use at your company, the specs, and your experience with it.
    Regards,
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    What is the allocated budget from the management?
    Is it very high or medium in terms of obtaining the hardware & software support for these services?
    I would not recommend to go to Cluster unless you have failed to achieve the goal of HIGH AVAILABILITY with usage of Database Mirroring or testing your application to accomplish the same.
    As per your explanation of usage and database growth I would recommend to use DB Mirroring than clustering.
  3. htt New Member

That is why I want to blow away the cluster idea by getting a quote for an HP cluster server and show them the price tag :). Unfortunately not all high-end employees are high-end users.
    Thanks.