SQL Server Performance

If Only I Had More...

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jul 29, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I am sure many of us have had that feeling of "If only I had more"—fill in the blank here. That something might be more money or it might simply be more RAM for a server. At the moment, my current wish is for more time. I am sure we have all had that experience where we feel on top of everything and all of a sudden something comes from left field, or maybe a deadline changes and we no longer feel in control. The feeling is as if the rug has been pulled out from beneath us. The problem I find is that despite all of my efforts I think I will find that elusive money tree before I find the key to more time. So what strategies do you use when time becomes a valuable commodity?—I think my strategy at the moment involves a large amount of caffeine.
    - Peter Ward
  2. Greg Larsen New Member

When I get overwhelmed with too much work and not enough time to get it done, I find myself spinning my wheels and not getting anything done. I equate it to a log jamb in a river. If too many logs come down the river at one time eventually they create a log jam and none of the logs get down river to the sawmill. Same is true with me when I have too many tasking going on, I find I can't get any of them done.When this happens I seem to waste more time. Sometimes that time is wasted just trying to figure out which task to work on. By more commonly if I start and stop working on a task frequently it seems like when I pick it up again a certain amount of time is wasted just reviewing where I was at with the task.So when I find I have a log jam of tasks to do I have to prioritize my tasks. When I mean prioritize I don't mean necessarily taking the most important one and handling them. It means balancing all the tasks, and determining which one I will work on first. Some tasks take 5 minutes, and others take 1 day, or a week. Then some tasks affect others, while some tasks only affect me. I take all these items into consideration and then I focus on completing just one task at a timeSo by taking one log out of the task log jam at a time, eventually all the remaining logs will start following freely down the river to the saw mill. I find if I focus on just one task and get it done, then another, eventually all my tasks are moving freely again toward completion.