SQL Server Performance

Index Creation taking so long time

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by muraliprofession, Jun 18, 2008.

1. muraliprofession New Member

Hai all,
    I am creating a index for a table which is containing 20 lakh records for a single column. It is taking a very long time to create that. Atleast it takes some 45 minutes to create that...Please guide me, why it is taking such a long time.Thanks everyone for the support.
  2. satya Moderator

For obvious reasons the creation of clustered index would take longer time as compared to non-clustered index.
    Also if the underlying hardware such as disks are not configured properly and any other processes such as BACKUP or DBCC statements are running then you will see such slow down of process. In thsi case make sure to run this as a scheduled job which will execute on server side, also pull out few stats using PERFMON tool.
  3. muraliprofession New Member

Hai sathya, thks for the information. Here I am creating nonclustered index only, and also I haven't run any of the DBCC commands and Backup commands also. Still the index is running for that table. Please give me some more suggestions.
  4. satya Moderator

What is the hardware configuration?
    What is the editionof SQL server and its service pack level/
  5. muraliprofession New Member

The hardware configuration is
    O/S : Microsoft Windows Server2003, Service Pack2
    Processor: Intel Xeon CPU,2.00 GHZ
    RAM : 2GB
    SQLServer : SQLServer Standard Edition.
  6. satya Moderator

Forgot to ask about Database size and numebr of indexes too, is this a new index you are building or trying to rebuild?
  7. muraliprofession New Member

The database size is 250 GB. This is the new index i am creating....