SQL Server Performance

Index Searches / Sec high!

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by RoyalSher, May 17, 2003.

1. RoyalSher New Member

Hi,

I have a query and runs against a large table having half a million records. Can ne body tell me how to troubleshoot index searches/sec which is the highest when checked with performance counters ?

i am putting down my query if ne body could suggest.. way to write it or index the columns.

Query:
    SELECT C.USERNAME, RIGHT(C.PLAN_TYPE, 2) AS PTYPE, C.TOTAL_SESSION, C.IPADDRESS AS IPADDRESS
    FROM DBO.USERS_AUTHENTICATION C WHERE C.BACKUPACCTSTATUS = CASE C.PLAN_TYPE WHEN 6 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
    AND C.USERNAME ='xxx'

Thanks in advance.

RoyalSher.
    The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong.
  2. satya Moderator

3. joechang New Member

it will depend on the selectivity of the the columns
    i am assuming USERNAME is reasonable selective
    if only a few rows for a given USERNAME exists, then the minimum index is

CREATE INDEX IX_USERS_AUTHENTICATION ON USERS_AUTHENTICATION(USERNAME)

otherwise, if BACKUPACCTSTATUS increases the selectivity, following will do:
    CREATE INDEX IX_USERS_AUTHENTICATION_1 ON USERS_AUTHENTICATION(USERNAME, BACKUPACCTSTATUS, PLAN_TYPE)

if there are still many rows that meet the criteria, then do a full covered index

CREATE INDEX IX_USERS_AUTHENTICATION_2 ON USERS_AUTHENTICATION(USERNAME, BACKUPACCTSTATUS, PLAN_TYPE, TOTAL_SESSION, IPADDRESS)

4. Luis Martin Moderator

Did you try using Query Analyzer with Index Tunig Wizard?

Luis Martin
  5. rushmada New Member

U can use Show Execution plan in Query Analyzer to find out the index analysis
    and
    Try to optimize the query by creating indexes on the columns which u were using
    for Where clause in the query

and Run the execution plan and check the time taking for the query.

Rushendra