SQL Server Performance

Information Repository

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Nov 21, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

A question that I have been asked a lot this week while attending PASS is 'what are some good resources to find out more information about SQL Server?' The availability of online information on SQL Server is extremely prevalent; however, it can be a bit like a bag of liquorice allsorts sweets—some sources are better than others. The quality of some of the information that can be found using your search engine of choice is fairly poor and will often perpetuate myths about SQL Server. For example, if you have a database corruption you will often read that the first thing to do is detach and reattach the database.
    Although online resources are a great way to find out information about SQL Server one of the most important things is to verify the validity of the information. A bit like the television show Mythbusters you need to ensure that you test the procedure especially before trying it on production. I would be interested to know what resources you turn to and trust for information of SQL Server.
    - Peter Ward
  2. unclebiguns New Member

I use SQLServerCentral, SQLServerPerformance, mssqltips, and several blogs including the folks at SQLBlog.com, SQLSkills.com, and some others by folks I've met either on-line or in person, that have shown themselves to be reliable. Then there's always the Inside SQL Server books. And BOL which is an under utilized resource.