SQL Server Performance

install 2008 x64 -> invalid user credentials for service account

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by acki4711, Oct 16, 2008.

1. acki4711 Member

Hi all,
    Tried to install sql 2008 x64 with a domain service account (not local admin not domain admin) gives me the error:
    - The credentials you provided for the SQL Server Agent service are invalid. To continue, provide a valid account and password for the SQL Server Agent service.
    - The specified credentials for the SQL Server service are not valid. To continue, provide a valid account and password for the SQL Server service.
    I used same account for both services and I'm sure it's not a typo in username/password.
    Installing user is admin on machine, adding service account to local admin group does not help.
    Any ideas ??
    TIA
    acki4711
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. satya Moderator

You must ensure that the Service is a local admin when installing the SQL Server services, later you can change this anyway.
    The service accounts used for this configuration must have a strong password
  4. St3ve New Member

Hi Satya,
    Your statement's confused me slightly...I would have thought that as long as you install under an account which has local admin privs (i.e. an Admin account); once you select your service account for SQL and SQL Agent; the installer will set up the appropriate NTFS permissions on the SQL directories, thus negating the need for the service account to be in local admins ?
    Cheers
  5. satya Moderator

Still those service accounts used for SQL Server services must be a local admin in order to proceed the registry update on services.
  6. WingSzeto Member

Based on my similar install experience, you should log in as that service account to do the installation. At least, that works for me. If I logged in under other domain user account or a local administrator account, it would cause the credential problem.
  7. mlzsmg New Member

When setting to domain accounts. It's also possibly worth pointing out that you must log into the server as a domain member rather than local admin.
    Sean
  8. clmommens New Member

I am having a similiar issue, when i get to the credentials page, it does not have an account listed for the SQL Server Agent. Its greyed out, but wants me to enter a password. Since it does not have an account name there, it fails. Help please
  9. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!!.
    Please open a new post, this is an old one.
    Thanks,
  10. satya Moderator

Clmommens
    What account is used to start SQLAgent service?
    Are you connecting to SQL instance using SYSADMIN privileges?
  11. We've tried many combinations, but his has worked for 40+ installs of SQL 2008 and R2 standalone and clusters: The SQL Server and Agent service accounts need to be local admins & have the right to log on as a service. Person installing must be a local admin. On Windows 2008, run setup with 'run as administrator'. After installation, rights can be pared down - but not before the installation. Same rules for AS and RS also.