SQL Server Performance

Installation of sql 2005 enterprise client components

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by sandeepsingh005, Jul 29, 2010.

1. sandeepsingh005 New Member

HI,
    I am upgrading sql 2000 sp3 enterprise to sql 2005. sql 2000 is default instance and I am installing sql 2005 as named instance. I am planning to move databases, logins and jobs later on to sql 2005. I need only databases engine upgrade only and workstation tools (management studio etc)
    the sql 2005 installation is going through fine for the DB services but as soon as it starts installing the workstation tools it breaks and says "an unexpected error as occured. check the logs". the DB services are installed correctly. the setup logs dont suggest anything. I have also tried installed these 2 components separately but same error. restarted machine tried again but didnt help.
    can anybody please help me on this.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

What OS do you have?
  3. sandeepsingh005 New Member

HI Luis,
    The problem was because the 'tools' cd was not there so the setup could not find it. this issue got resolved but I have another issue in an in place upgrade. here while running the setup at a step it says-
    "chose default instance if you want to install/upgrade default instance or named instance if you want to install or upgrade instance."
    I have sql 2000 sp4 as a default instance but, the setup after the above step, tells me that the component i want to to install is already installed and shows sql 2000 in grayed out, so I cannot select anything. When I click on Details betton below it says- there is an version/ edition issue.
    I am upgradding sql 2000 sp4 32 bit enterprise 32 bit to sql 2005 enterprise 32 bit on a 32 bit windows server 2003.
    The above configuration looks perfect so where is the problem. The setup log also says the same. I tried installing via command prompt but I got same message in setup log.
    Can anybody please tell me what is the issue here?
    Thanks in advance.
  4. satya Moderator

So you are installing this 2005 instance as named-instance, make sure you check the SQL server services are started after the installation. For the best part of information look at BOOTSTRAP directory under program files to see where exactly this exception is happening and post further log information.
    Make sure that you are using a local ADMIN privileged login to install these 2005 services.