SQL Server Performance

installing multi instance cluster on one SAN disk with Mounts

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by BikeBoy, Nov 11, 2007.

1. BikeBoy New Member

I have a feelining that I will not be able to isntall multiple instances of SQL on the same san drive, because it can only be owned by one group at a time. So for instance, I have a G: disk, and under it MySQL1 and MySQL2 mountpoints. They are noth dependant on G: and belong to SQLGROUP_A
    If I want to now install another instance in SQLGROUP_B, how can I do that? The only drive I see is Quorum, and obviously I don't want to install anything on it.[:(]
  2. satya Moderator

What is the operating system?
    FYI, In Windows 2000, each clustered disk had to have a drive letter assigned to it, therefore the maximum number of clustered disks in a single cluster was limited to 23 volumes (26 letters of the alphabet minus A and B [Floppy drives] and C [system/boot drive]).
    In Windows Server 2003, there is no longer a requirement for a clustered disk to have a driver letter assigned, therefore the number of disks is limited by the number that can be physically attached and the number supported by the underlying operating system.
    Note: Applications can access disks with no drive letters in one of two ways a) directly using the object name associated with the disk or more likely b) by using mount points to link multiple disks together that can be accessed using a single drive letter.
    See http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/clustering/clustering_resources_p1.aspx & http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...dc-a17b-4f09-b282-c6830fead499&displaylang=en too.
  3. BikeBoy New Member

The OS is Windows 2003 Ent ed.
    I know about the limitation of volumes on 2000, but that's not what I am asking. What I am asking is Must I have a separate physical drive per SQL cluster group in order to install additional instances of SQL?
  4. satya Moderator

Yes you should be , follow the link on Clustering resources on this site and Brad has documented well.