SQL Server Performance

Installing SQL cluster 1st time

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by shab_nyc, Oct 6, 2011.

1. shab_nyc New Member

Dear all,
    I know this may not sound good but confusion forced me to post here
    I am installing SQL server 2 nodes cluster for the first time, while reviewing the instruction in this website, I just got confused whether the virtual IP for SQL server should be one of the SQL node’s IPs or should use a different IP. Also when naming the virtual instance, does it have to be a computer name in the domain? Also when installing the cluster on windows 2003, I should use different IP? but when naming the virtual cluster Does this name have to be registered in the domain too? What else should I ask server team to provide? I mean should I ask them for 2 more IP addresses for virtual instances of SQL and cluster? And 2 domain names for both virtual instances like
    SQLServer-V and SQLCluster-v

Here is everything I got from server team:
    Domain: Domain1
    Service account: Domain1\SQL_Services
    SQL-SVR-1 100.100.1.1 wind 2003 64bit VMware virtual platform
    SQL-SVR-2 100.100.1.2 wind 2003 64bit VMware virtual platform

Please advise
    Thanks in advance
  2. satya Moderator

3. shab_nyc New Member

Thanks Satya!
    We only have 2 DB servers in the cluster(node1 and node2) so, one will be active and the other one passive (NO 3rd DB server (nodeC) as described in your second link). referring to my post above, Node1 = SQL-SVR-1 100.100.1.1, Node2 = SQL-SVR-2 100.100.1.2. Now the application should point to a virtual instance lets say SQL-SVR-V IP 100.100.1.0 ..... is this correct?
  4. satya Moderator

Yes in any case the virtual instance name is the one which application requires, they need not know about physical name or node nam in this case.