SQL Server Performance

Installing SQL Server 2008 Express with advance tool side by side with SQL Server 2005 Express on Windows 7

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by AbdulJavedKhan, Jan 8, 2010.

1. AbdulJavedKhan New Member

Hello

I am trying to Install SQL Server 2008 Express with advance Services side by side with SQL Server 2005 Express on Windows 7 Home, but every time I am failed.
    I am getting error SQL Server 2005 Express while installing.
    I goggled it & found so many solution like renaming registry folder "9" or "ShellSEM", but id didn't work for me.
    Could you please suggest me what I am missing.

Thanks,
    Abdul Javed Khan
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    Can you post the error message you get please?
  3. AbdulJavedKhan New Member

Hello FrankKalis
    I am getting following error message on Installation Rule dialog(one of the step involved in SQL Server 2008 Instalation)
    SQL Server 2005 Express Tool
    Once I click on Failed link, it shows a following message
    Rule "SQL Server 2005 Express Tool" failed
    The SQL Server 2005 Express Tools are installed. To continue, remove the SQL Server 2005 Express Tool.
    Thanks,
    Abdul Javed Khan
  4. moh_hassan20 New Member

[quote user="AbdulJavedKhan"]
    Rule "SQL Server 2005 Express Tool" failed
    The SQL Server 2005 Express Tools are installed. To continue, remove the SQL Server 2005 Express Tool.
    [/quote]
    you can not install both on the same machine , and the error message suggest the solution by removing sql express 2005
    why you need to install the two versions.?
    it is enough to install SQL Server 2008 Express with advanced Services
  5. AbdulJavedKhan New Member

Hello
    I need to install both version of SQL Server & I have read in some article that it is possible..
    So could you please share some idea with me regarding the issue if it is possible...?
    Thanks,
    Abdul Javed Khan
  6. moh_hassan20 New Member

you can install different versions of sql server engine as they have different instance names on the same machine.
    but only, one version of client tools like SSMS (management tools) which should be the highest version , to access the others sql instances
    if you installed sql express 2005 engine only (not with client/ssms tools), i think , you may install sql express 2008 engine with different instance name and install also its client tools .
  7. AbdulJavedKhan New Member

Hello Moh_hassan
    The error I am getting is "SQL Server 2005 express installed".
    Can't we install both Express version of SQL Server(2005 & 2008) in same system..?
    Or I can have only one version of SQL server Express Edition..?
    Please suggest me some good approach...because I have already tried so many way but failed.
    Thanks,
    Abdul Javed Khan
  8. moh_hassan20 New Member

review http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/1/0/f10c4f60-630e-4153-bd53-c3010e4c513b/RequirementsSQLEXP2005.htm
    it may help
  9. AbdulJavedKhan New Member

Hello Moh_Hassan
    The article is for SQL Server 2005...but anyway thanks for reply....
    Thanks,
    Abdul Javed Khan
  10. moh_hassan20 New Member

i test installation of sql express 2005 engine on a machine windows xp sp3 with sql 2008 advanced express
    it is sucessfull[:D]
    that what i did
    - install in different directory
    - Naming the instance of sql 2005 with name sqlexpress2005
    - i configured sql express 2008 to connect on static port 1433
    - i configured sql express 2005 to connect on dynamic port (or you can assign other unused port )
  11. AbdulJavedKhan New Member

Hello Moh Hasan
    I'll try it & let you know...
    Thanks,
  12. satya Moderator

I have 4 instances of SQL on my win7 machine (2 of each versions) without any issues