SQL Server Performance

Installing SQL2000 mirror & Raid10

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by NatJevs, Jun 4, 2008.

1. NatJevs New Member

Hi
    I have a new server that has been configured with
    6 x SAS 146gb hdd
    I want to mirror 2 drives and install OS and have 4 Drives with RAID10 configuration. Can someone please advise on how i should install SQL2000 on this configuration?
    I was wondering if i should partition the Mirrored drives and install SQL server there and then put logs and data on the RAID 10 array?
    Any help would be great!
    thx in advance
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
    You will find a lot of opinions in this case.
    This is mine:
    Put SQL programs, master, tempdb, msdb and data logs in first mirror and databases in the second.
    But, please, how many databases do you have and what recovery model are you using?
  3. NatJevs New Member

Hi Luis,
    thank you for the quick reply. There will only be 2 maximum DB,
    Sorry just to get this right.. is this the config you would go with?
    Mirror - Partition 1 - OS
    - Partition 2 - SQL 2000 (including, master, model, tempdb etc), all log files go on this partiton also.
    RAID 10 - our own DB's
    As for recovery there is a good question. I dont know that much about Raid 10 so i will be doing some reading, i do have backup exec, which should work ok.
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

Yeap!.
    That is my opinion. You should wait for others members also.
    About recovery model, read about it and can back with any question.

5. alent1234 New Member

really depends on the I/O expected
    we have servers with RAID5 and data and log files on the RAID5 array and we have servers where we have separate RAID1 arrays for log files
    the book says there is a penalty on RAID5 for writes, but SAS drives are so fast that we usually don't notice this. last year i built a server with RAID10 and people started to complain about buying new drives a few months later so we moved it to RAID5.